THE LORD’S TAVERNERS NORTHERN NSW SCHOLARSHIPS
The Lord’s Taverners Northern NSW Inc. has established The Lord’s Taverners (Northern NSW) University Scholarships under the Rising Stars Scholarships Program at Southern Cross University.
The Scholarships are available to students who are disadvantaged or who intend to work with disadvantaged youth, and are entering or continuing undergraduate courses at Southern Cross University.
The Scholarships may be awarded to students for up to four years but may not be awarded in any particular year according to the following:
- Available funds
- Quality of applicants
- Progress of applicants
The Scholarships are currently valued at least $5,000.00 per annum to the scholarship holders.
The Lord’s Taverners (Northern NSW) University Scholarships will be funded from The Lord’s Taverners (Northern NSW) University Scholarship Fund which has been established for this expressed purpose.
Students from anywhere in Australia who have gained admittance to the Southern Cross University are eligible to apply for The Lord’s Taverners (Northern NSW) University Scholarship subject to the following:
In keeping with the Lord’s Taverners’ objective of “giving the young and disadvantaged a sporting chance”, applicants must be able to demonstrate personal disadvantage, or the expressed desire to work with people who are disadvantaged in one or more of the following categories:
- Geographical isolation
- Financial disadvantage
- Marginalised and/or minority groups
- Physical or intellectual Disability
Southern Cross University’s Scholarships Office manages the application and selection process for scholarships.
Students who are awarded The Lord’s Taverners (Northern NSW) University Scholarship must make satisfactory progress in their courses of study, as per each University’s requirements and provide an appropriate report each year to Lord’s Taverners Northern NSW branch in order to retain the scholarship for subsequent years. Failure in either or both of these requirements may lead to the loss of the scholarship for that year. (See “Student obligations and termination” for requirements at Southern Cross University).
- The Lord’s Taverners (Northern NSW) University Scholarship Fund
- Lord’s Taverners Northern NSW Inc. has established a fund called The Lord’s Taverners (Northern NSW) University Scholarship Fund.
- This fund is held in a separate, dedicated bank account, which is subject to The Lord’s Taverners’ accounting and auditing procedures.
- Receipts for donations to the fund will be issued in the name of the fund.
- The Lord’s Taverners (Northern NSW) University Scholarship Fund is maintained exclusively for the principal purpose of financing the award of The Lord’s Taverners (Northern NSW) University Scholarship. (This can include administration and fundraising costs for the principal purpose of the fund.)
- The Lord’s Taverners (Northern NSW) University Scholarship Fund provides for scholarships which are awarded only to permanent residents or Australian citizens as described in the Australian Citizenships Act 2007, and promotes the recipients’ education.
- The scholarships are open to individuals throughout Australia who are enrolled in, or who qualify for admission to Southern Cross University.
- The scholarships will be awarded on merit or for reasons of equity.
- The Lord’s Taverners (Northern NSW) University Scholarship Fund will comprise a management committee of no less than 3 members the majority of whom will be “responsible persons” as described in paragraph 9 of Taxation Ruling TR 95/27.
- The Lord’s Taverners (Northern NSW) University Scholarship Fund will seek and receive gifts and deductable donations from the public, funds which must be used only for the principal purpose of the fund.
- Non-profit clause: The assets and income of the fund shall be applied solely in furtherance of its above-mentioned objects and no portion shall be distributed directly or indirectly to the members of the organisation or fund except as bona fide compensation for services rendered or expenses incurred on behalf of the organisation or fund.
- If The Lord’s Taverners (Northern NSW) University Scholarship Fund is wound up or the endorsement for the fund as a deductible gift recipient , the following assets remaining after payment of the fund’s liabilities shall be transferred to a fund, authority or institution to which the tax deductible gifts can be made:
- Gifts of money or property for the principal purpose of the organisation or fund
- Contributions made in relation to an eligible fundraising event held for the principal purpose of the organisation or fund, and
- Money received by the organisation or fund because of such gifts and contributions.
- If there are any changes to these rules, the Australian Taxation Office will be notified within seven (7) days of such changes.
- The Rising Stars Scholarships Program
- This program was established to provide financial assistance to students with outstanding academic potential as well as those who may not have the opportunity for a university education without financial support. It recognises success, promotes learning and encourages students to achieve their goals by alleviating some of the financial pressure associated with full-time study.
More than 50 businesses, clubs, Councils, individuals and trusts support scholarships through the Rising Stars Scholarships program and the Lord’s Taverners (Northern NSW) University Scholarship is awarded within this program.